Te Kōhanga Reo was inspired by Kaumatua for the purpose of the restoration and development of te reo (Māori language) me ōna tikanga (customs and practices) within whānau (families)
The Four Pou (framework)
Pou 1 Te Reo Māori anake
Pou 2 Whānau management
Pou 3 Accountability
Pou 4 Provide for the total well-being of mokopuna and whānau
The 4 Pou will ensure
- Security of Te Reo Māori me ōna Tikanga
- Whānau providing a supportive, caring and nurturing environment for mokopuna
- Whānau protection of kaupapa
- Whānau sharing of responsibilities, knowledge and skills
- Greater respect and appreciation of each other
- Sustainability of the kaupapa Māori
- Providing a learning environment that encapsulates te ao Māori
What is the cost?
Whānau contributions are discussed in person to ensure mokopuna and whānau can attend Kōhanga.
"Ko te reo te mauri o te mana Māori"
"The language is the life principle of mana Māori"